Monday, February 23, 2009

Past, Present, Future

Sorry for petite repose, but I've been lazy lately. Sore too. I've only just recovered from climbing Mt. Saint Victoire (pictures are on Facebook if you are interested). Please understand that there is a great difference between hiking and climbing and I use this verb quite intentionally. But sore muscles, a cut face, and several wrong turns aside, it was an absolutely amazing day with an equally stunning view. Southern France has got to be one of the prettiest regions I have ever seen and an elevation of 3000 only increases the magnitude of the beauty.

Today was a completely carefree day as I spent it, practically, doing rien. Nothing. My first and only class today started at 10 and so I leisurely got up, ate a huge pain au chocolat, and walked to the institute. Spring is finally ebbing its way into Provence, but my host mother still made me wear a coat for fear of the cold. "You Americans always think that sun means a warm day," she said. And, like almost always, she was right. After class ended I met up with my wonderful (and pretty much only) French friend, Laura. We ended up getting lunch and walking around parts of Aix. I can't tell you how much it helps (and often how frustrating it is) to be able to speak French with someone for 5 consecutive hours. When I finally returned home for dinner, I found Michèle in the kitchen completely surrounded by bottles. Her response when I asked her what she was doing? "Making alcohol." She laughed and Alain piped in, "You know the word péché (sin)...?" "Ahhh," I said. "Well, I'm sure there are worse things." When she managed to clear the table of the bottles, we had a nice dinner of vegetable soup, potatoes, lamb (literally collier d'agneau or lamb throat) and bread. And I, ever the glutton, had maronsui's (basically a sweet, chestnut mousse) for dessert.

But our first vacation (Yes, we get two breaks in one semester. For a total of 3 weeks vacation. This is France, you know) is coming up next Monday and I can't wait becaussssse...I'm going to Egypt. I have a dear dear friend who lives there with her husband and I'm going to be able to do Cairo with her. I've been looking forward to this for months but I feel slightly worried being that there was a bomb attack in a tourist area of Cairo only several days ago. I would like to be able to come back and finish the rest of my time here. For my parents and those others who feel like cautioning me, don't worry. I'll be careful. But I'm still going.

2 comments:

  1. I will still caution you, and worry, because I am your mother. But I will also be excited for you to go, it will be unbelievable to go! Stewart has talked about it for so long, and now you are really doing it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, just remember to always watch your six, and only trust your friend and no one else. Have fun and send me a postcard!!! Leslie

    ReplyDelete