Friday, April 17, 2009

The Return

Sorry it's taken me this long to post another entry. I've been shamed long enough by my friend Katie's regularly updated, always entertaining entries and thus I'm recommitting myself to being more diligent at writing--that is, at least until next Thursday when I depart for a week in Italy.

So, what have you been up to? Here's a rather brief summary of some of the things that have happened recently (or rather, not-so-recently due to my erratic posting):

1. Camargue:
This is a region in Southern France known for its white horses, black bulls, flamingos, and salt marshes. We were lucky enough to go with a fellow study abroad program who had already organized the whole trip--a two hour horseback ride through the salt marshes to the beach, a stop at a local town for lunch and a quick rest on the beach, and a traditional Course Camarguaise bullfight. These are what I like to call "nice bull fights" where the animals are not slaughtered like their unfortunate counterparts. In fact, the only goal of the game is to remove several small pieces of string that are attached to the bulls horns. As you can see, it's a little easier said than done.



2. Bordeaux:
I spent the weekend of Pâques (Easter weekend) in the French city of Bordeaux with several other kids from my church. Although the weather was far from pleasant (rain, puddles, wind, more rain) it was an absolutely wonderful weekend. We toured the old downtown area of Bordeaux, had a "P" themed party (I went as Le Penseur [The Thinker]), met a lot of neat people, and spent an otherwise perfect time together. I spoke French for three days straight and I only wish I could have that opportunity more often!


3. Chocolate:
Candy is as much a part of Easter tradition here as it is in the US. But in France it is the church bells and not a rabbit that delivers the treats--which, when you think about, is just as nonsensical. My favorite part about Easter in France though is the display windows of the local bakeries and artisan candy shops. Instead of the highly processed, over packaged products you'd find elsewhere, these windows are filled with the delicate chocolate shells of a whole menagerie of creatures: white chocolate lambs with little bows, hens with slightly tinted feathers, fish with bulbous lips, clowns, chicks, rabbits, and any other slightly springish creation. They're beautiful, these bonbons, but you pay a hefty price--some of the bigger ones ranged up to 45€. Although I was in Bordeaux over the week-end de Pâques, my host mom still bought me Easter chocolate which she gave me when I returned. It is a two sided shell (very traditional, I was told) filled with the tiny figures of ducks and hens and fish and flowers. I am proud to say that, after almost a week, it is still less than half-way finished.


4. Losing my Mind:
I'm entering that transitional point between French and English where I'm beginning to lack a precision in both languages. While my vocabulary is not as strong in French as I would like, I'm also beginning to forget basic English words. This week I forgot the words inside joke, alumni, fastidious, and recommitted. Soon I'm just going to have to resort to hand gestures and cross-cultural grunts.

3 comments:

  1. All I have to say is, ITs about time you wrote!!! Do you know how long its been, my world to the outside into france was cut off by you for weeks...! I will have you know I look forward to your writing and when you didnt say anything i was starting to get worried. I wish I was in Italy right now so I could meet up with you. But things never work out the way you want them too. Are you going to Rome? Let me know, perhaps I can send Salvatore out your way so he can take you to all the good local spots or spots you dont know about. Plus he is dying to speak to someone that knows english. I talk to him every week but thats not enough...Thanks for writing, they are little windows that let the light into my dark, boring, not going the way I want it life.
    Lp

    ReplyDelete
  2. please make a mental postcard in italy for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never underestimate the power of a well-placed cross-cultural grunt! Oh, and any mention of the Camargue puts me into fits of giggles (much needed today, so thanks!) because all I think of is the cave scene in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." Thanks helping to lighten my mood :)

    ReplyDelete