Friday, March 20, 2009

The Endive: Save Your Tongue the Agony

I rather enjoy eating. As this is something I've known for some time, you can imagine my excitement and expectation in coming to one of the most culinarily celebrated cultures on the planet. And France has not disappointed. Lamb cutlets, delicate slices of saucisse, roasted pork with homemade mayonnaise. New turnips, potatoes au gratin, fleshy Tunisian oranges with flecks of red under their skin. Lemon meringues, fresh fruit tarts, canelles, crèpes, chocolate flan, éclairs, pears in chocolate sauce, madeleines...

While it may seem that I am simply a gourmand (which is probably true) I have to draw the line of edibility somewhere. And while I preach tolerance in all other realms of life, I must confess here: I detest endives. They are not even worth the effort it takes to pluck them from the ground. As the vegetable racist I have come to be, I cannot support the eating of this, the most galling of foods the earth has ever produced. Imagine an ear-wax flavored piece of celery, sometimes baked with ham and cheese, sometimes cooked with sugar and crème fraîche. This is the endive. Avoid it at all costs.

In more positive news, I learned how to knit tonight.

3 comments:

  1. LOl, that is too funny. Note to self " DO not eat Endive" thanks.. How do you like the knitting?. My big sister is a fanatic when it comes to that, she even use to have her own yarn store.. so if you need a certain type of yarn let me know and I will see if she has it. Lp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for knitting!! Apparently not for the endive, however. ;-) (Jayme)

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I don't hate endives, I agree that knitting is way more fun! I learned to knit in France too! how funny - happy tricot!

    ReplyDelete